The Difference Between Surrender and Silence
There’s something I’ve been thinking about since a conversation I had the other day.
Someone decided to tell me that a submissive having boundaries somehow makes them less submissive. that if a sub says no, has limits, or refuses something they don’t consent to, then they aren’t a “real” sub.
They called it being a trickster.
And apparently, in their version of submission, a dominant can do whatever they want because the sub has given up their right to boundaries. Even going as extreme so as to say a Dom could kill their sub if they chose to. That is apparently “proof” of what real submission looks like.
I was also told that I seemed to have an attitude because I was standing up for myself, and then came the classic, “you must be hard to handle”. Which admittedly, I found quite hilarious because I often joke about being difficult to handle. But coming from someone who is telling me that my boundaries and limits are what make me difficult? That’s not the same thing.
In fact, it’s rude as fuck.
To be fair, though, this conversation also led to some really lovely conversations with people who reached out to me afterward. A lot of you saw what happened and wanted to talk about it. Not just to tell me that the interaction was rude, but to actually have conversations about consent, submission, boundaries, and what those things mean in a healthy dynamic.
And those conversations were genuinely wonderful. Because that’s the kind of discussion I actually love having.
We don’t all have to approach submission the exact same way. We don’t all have to have the same boundaries, same dynamic, or the same definition of what our relationships look like. I’m just here sharing what works for us.
But we should be able to talk about those differences without pretending that consent stops mattering. There’s a very strange assumption that a submissive who knows their own mind must somehow be a difficult submissive. That having an opinion is attitude. That having boundaries is stubborn. That knowing what you will and won’t accept makes you “hard to handle” I don’t think that’s what real submission looks like at all.
In fact, I think the exact opposite is true. A real Dom should want their sub to have boundaries. Not tolerate them. Not begrudgingly accept them. Want them. Because if someone doesn’t know exactly where your boundaries are, what exactly are they protecting? What exactly are they being trusted with?
Submission isn’t the absence of a boundary.
It’s the choice to hand someone access to certain parts of you while still knowing where the lines are. That’s what makes the trust mean something.
If a submissive is genuinely unable to say no, then there isn’t really anything being surrendered. There is nothing to give if the person never had the ability to withhold it. The power exchange exists because there are two people involved. Two people with agency. Two people making choices.
One person may choose to surrender control within the relationship, but surrendering control is not the same thing as surrendering personhood. A submissive doesn’t stop being a human being because they submit. They don’t stop having preferences. They don’t stop having fears. They don’t stop having hard limits. They don’t stop being allowed to change their minds. And they absolutely do not become property simply because they enjoy a dynamic and power exchange.
I think sometimes people get so caught up in the fantasy of absolute power that they forget what makes consensual power exchange different from actual abuse. The power is given. And because it is given, it can also have conditions. It can have boundaries. It can have conversations around it. It can have a safe word. It can have the things that are never on the table. It can have things that are only okay under very specific circumstances. It can have a submissive who says, “I trust you enough to give you this much, but not more than that.”
And a Dom who hears that and thinks, thank you for trusting me enough to tell me. Not a dom who thinks, how dare you.
Especially when we’re talking about CNC. The first C is consensual. That’s not a technicality you get to skip because the fantasy involves pretending that consent doesn’t exist. The entire premise depends on consent existing underneath the roleplay.
That’s what makes the difference between consensual non-consent and actual non-consent.
You can play with the illusion of having no control while still having very real agreements underneath it. You can establish boundaries beforehand. You can establish ways to communicate when something needs to stop. You can agree on what is and isn’t part of the scene. And none of that makes the experience less intense.
If anything, knowing that there is genuine trust underneath the fantasy is what allows people to safely explore something intense in the first place.
There is nothing inherently less submissive about knowing your limits. There is nothing less submissive about having a safe word. There is nothing less submissive about saying “not that”. There is nothing less submissive about changing your mind.
And there is certainly nothing less submissive about expecting the person you submit to to respect those things. A good Dom isn’t looking for someone with no boundaries. They’re looking for someone who knows themselves well enough to communicate those boundaries- and trusts them enough to hand over some control anyway.
Because a Dom who respects consent doesn’t need their sub to be powerless. They need their sub to choose them. That’s where the trust comes from. That’s where the vulnerability comes from. That’s where the dynamic blossoms from.
Anyone can take something from someone who has no ability to say no. There isn’t much impressive about that. But being trusted with something someone else could take back? Being given control by someone who is fully capable of keeping it? Being told, “I have these limits, and I trust you to respect them”? That’s different. That’s a responsibility.
And I think that that’s the part that gets lost when people reduce submission to obedience. Submission isn’t simply doing whatever you’re told. It’s a relationship between trust, consent, communication, and power.
The details look completely different from one dynamic to another. Some people have very few limits. Some have many. Some dynamics are incredibly structured. Others aren’t. Some people want to surrender enormous amounts of control, while others have very clearly defined lines that will never be crossed.
None of those things automatically make one person more or less submissive than another. Because submission isn’t a competition. There isn’t a prize for having the fewest boundaries.
And there certainly isn’t some imaginary threshold where you become a ‘real’ submissive only after you’ve stopped being allowed to say no. If anything, I think someone who understands the power exchange should understand exactly why boundaries matter. Because without boundaries, consent becomes meaningless. Without consent submission becomes meaningless. And without trust, the entire dynamic loses the thing that makes it worth giving yourself to in the first place.
So no, having boundaries doesn’t make someone less submissive.
And respecting those boundaries doesn’t make a Dom less dominant. Quite the opposite.
A Dom who understands what they’ve been entrusted with should care deeply about where their sub’s lines are. Because dominance isn’t proven by how completely you can disregard another person’s autonomy. It’s shown by how responsibly you handle the autonomy they’ve chosen to place in your hands. And maybe that’s the part some people don’t want to hear.
Submission doesn’t mean I disappear. It doesn’t mean I stop having a voice. It doesn’t mean “no” stops existing.
It means I have a voice, I have choices, I have boundaries and I can still choose to give someone power within those boundaries. That’s not a contradiction. That’s the entire point.
And if having boundaries, opinions, and the ability to stand up for myself makes me “hard to handle” …
Well.
Maybe I’m not difficult, maybe I’m just not for you. Pretty things can still have teeth.
Comments
Post a Comment